Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nonito Donaire: 'I Have Faith In Victor Conte'

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,



LAS VEGAS -- December marked the bantamweight (118 pounds) debut of former WBA interim super flyweight (115 pounds) titlist Nonito Donaire, who was facing a former Olympian and ex-world champion who never had been stopped in Ukrainian Volodymyr Sydorenko.

Yet the 28-year-old Donaire (25-1, 17 knockouts) was able to dispose of his 34-year-old rival with relative ease, not only breaking the nose of Sydorenko (22-2-2, seven KOs), but dropping his opponent once each in the first, third, and, final rounds on the way to a fourth-round knockout that secured his 24th consecutive victory and the ninth stoppage in his past 11 fights.

"I was very surprised that, you know, my power was there. Because, usually, I felt so weak at the 112 [flyweight] and the 115 [super flyweight] weight classes," said Donaire. "Usually, I'm so fragile. My body, my legs and my arms, they would feel weak after certain rounds. But this time, I felt really good. I was able to move fast, my legs never had a problem."

Sydorenko was stopped for the first time in his career by Donaire.

"I think that was one of the keys that really surprised me because I thought, 'Wow, I can do it.' I was pretty surprised, because these guys were supposed to be the heavier guys," said Donaire.

"They're supposed to be stronger in the heavier division. But I was able to hit him hard," said Donaire. "That's why I feel so confident in this fight. I feel good," said Donaire. "I know that my speed and my power are going to be there. If I can land them, it's over."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2011/02/18/nonito-donaire-i-have-faith-in-victor-conte/

Cincinnati Bengals Cleveland Browns

No comments:

Post a Comment