Tuesday, June 28, 2011

They Said It: week of June 27

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Giants QB Eli Manning, telling the "Dan Patrick Show" he thinks there is a greater chance of WR Plaxico Burress being welcomed back to the Giants than RB Tiki Barber (as quoted by the New York Post): "Probably Plaxico just because he has probably fonder memories of winning a Super Bowl and that catch for the touchdown in Super Bowl XLII. Tiki ended on a bad note and it's really a shame, he should be remembered as a great Giants running back and a terrific player, because he was. Just kind of the way he went out and burned a few bridges with the fans and kind of went after me a little bit, it's unfortunate. I'm not happy about it in that sense, so I think Plaxico would probably be welcomed back a little quicker."

Jets LB LaDainian Tomlinson, quoted by The Associated Press (on website of the New York Post) on relishing the opportunity to be a third-down back this season: "I think I proved that I can still play and that I've got a lot left. Let me do a lot of the pass catching and the blocking and kind of that third-down role and still be able to take some handoffs. Beating up my body, running through there, taking all the carries, and I can run routes, I've proved that." Added Tomlinson on getting so close to his first Super Bowl last season: "I was able to kind of taste how close it was. … It seemed like a dream ending to a fine career. It didn't work out like that, but at the same time, it let's me know how close I am. I have a heck of a team, great coaching staff and I expect us to make another push."

Lions PK Dave Rayner doesn't envision a big impact from kickoffs being moved back five yards in 2011, as quoted in the Detroit Free Press: "I don't know. If it was, like, 10 yards, I would say that would be a big deal. To me, I think the five yards is going to have those guys that already hit a ton of touchbacks just hitting more." Rayner continued: "Returners are going to bring it out if it's five (yards) deep. I mean, they do now. So if you're kicking now, and you're averaging (kicking to) the goal line, it's going to go five deep. They're still going to bring that back."

Buccaneers LB Tyrone McKenzie, quoted on tbo.com on the maturity of his young team: "I see a lot of guys on our team who are mature above their time. From Day One when I came in, I've tried to be accountable to my teammates and show them I'm here to win. It feels great to be around a bunch of guys that know we have to put the work in to get results."

Ravens S Ed Reed, telling ESPN last week how much he enjoyed playing for former Ravens defensive coordinator and current Jets head coach Rex Ryan, whom he compared to a "dad" or "brother:" "We wanted Rex as a head coach in Baltimore. We did not want him to leave. It hurt when he left. But we knew he was a great coach." Added Reed, "I would play anywhere for Rex — dark alley, on the street, in high school football, sand lot, anywhere. Because he makes it fun. He loves this game. He truly loves this game. There's a reason why those guys in New York back him the way they do."

Monday, June 27, 2011

Dolphins OLB Channing Crowder, quoted on SunSentinel.com on his reputation around the league: "I know people hate me. When people hate on you you've got to be doing something right."

Titans new offensive coordinator Chris Palmer, discussing rookie QB Jake Locker's ability to make plays with his legs, as quoted in The Tennessean: "You don't want to get him beat up. But you know you have this wild card in your pocket, you know? He has speed running it … " Added Palmer on Locker's willingness to continue surveying the field when pressure starts bearing down: "He shows some courage there. I would write on my college report, 'Hangs in the pocket, will take a hit.' "

Former NFL PK Morten Andersen, who was part of the work stoppages in 1982 and '87, giving his take on the lockout, as quoted on theadvertiser.com: "This one is about money — greed. They're fighting over $9 billion. There wasn't that much money on the table back then. But it's also about honoring the history of the game and taking care of the players before us in the NFL. I'm one of the fortunate ones. I'm not crippled. There needs to be better benefits for former players to pay their medical bills. I'm for getting a solid resolution that benefits everybody. There is enough money to do that."

Bears rookie OT Gabe Carimi, quoted on chicagobears.com on attempting to play left tackle in the NFL: "Honestly, that's my goal because it's a high-value position. But, whatever the team's needs are, that's what I'll be. Wherever they start me and is best for the Bears." Added Carimi on staying in shape during the lockout: "Well, I've been training. That's the biggest part of my day, to get two, three hours of training, and I've been in about an eight-week cycle since the draft, which leads up until now."

Panthers new quarterbacks coach Mike Shula, discussing QB Jimmy Clausen, as quoted on panthers.com: "There's still so many unknowns with Jimmy — on where his ceiling is mentally and physically — but he was exposed to a lot in college with playing quarterback at Notre Dame and also working with Charlie Weis, who does a great job offensively preparing a young man for the NFL." Added Shula about top pick Cam Newton: "It's the same thing with Cam. He was exposed to a lot in his college career. And last year as the games got bigger, he played better in an offense that he was very good in but an offense you really don't see a lot in the NFL. He's going to have a lot of learning to do, but at the same time we're going to have to make sure that we find things for him and for Jimmy that they do well and put them in position to do those things."

Source: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/06/28/they-said-it-week-of-june-27

Tennessee Titans Buffalo Bills Dallas Cowboys Miami Dolphins New York Giants Philadelphia Eagles

No comments:

Post a Comment