Friday, June 24, 2011

They Said It: week of June 20

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vikings RB Adrian Peterson, in a statement issued to The Associated Press through his agent, Ben Dogra, explaining why he will miss a youth football camp carrying his name in Norman, Okla.: "I want to apologize to all the fans about the confusion regarding the camp in Norman. I hosted camps in Palestine and Tyler, Texas, last week that went great. Due to ProCamps misunderstanding of my schedule, I was never able to host this year's Norman camp on their scheduled dates, but look forward to being back in 2012."

QB Donovan McNabb, who hasn't attended any workouts with Redskins players, talking to CSNPhilly.com about taking part in an informal player workout Wednesday with some of his former Eagles teammates: "I'm just working out right now. As you can see, I'm in some great shape, and I'm only going to get better."

Redskins TE Chris Cooley told NFL.com that Washington needs a "big-time receiver, like free agent Plaxico Burress, who was recently released from jail. … It's tough when you get guys like T.O. or Chad (Ochocinco), who have been what they are in the NFL for so long, in my opinion. Plaxico Burress probably is a guy that's humbled such as Michael Vick was, a lot, in the same situation. If you were going to take a risk on a guy that's a good player, he's probably the guy you're going to take a risk on. He'll probably step in a locker room, keep his mouth shut, work hard and try to earn his way back into the league the first season."

Ravens OLB Terrell Suggs, admitting on FOX 1370 Sports Radio in Baltimore that he has changed his tune regarding a rookie wage scale: "When I was coming in as a rookie I thought that was the biggest baloney I had ever heard. But now being a vet, being on the other side of the fence, and seeing the vets that have been in the league for years, have longevity and still haven't reached that payday, I think it's pretty unfair, and definitely the rookies should have to earn their money."

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rams LB David Vobora, quoted on news-leader.com after being awarded $5.4 million in his lawsuit against a Florida supplements maker whose tainted product caused him to fail an NFL drug test: "Today is a celebration. Today, I've been proven innocent." Added Vobora on the emotional toll this issue caused him: "… from extreme threats to fan mail talking about hoping I never play another snap in the NFL. Hearing that I'm a disgrace, having to deal with that daily. To really get the ship righted, that's vindication."

Former Jets and Dolphins QB Chad Pennington, discussing his decision to take the 2011 season off to join FOX sports, as quoted on jetsreport.com: "I'm actually going to take this year off, get healthy and do some work for FOX sports. I'm going to evaluate things and see where I am physically." Added Pennington: "It seems like I majored in that (injury comebacks). I'm trying to get away from that. It seems to follow me around."

Former Giants RB Tiki Barber, who is attempting a comeback at the age of 36, quoted on nygiantscentral.com on the reason for his comeback bid: "The game never needs you because there's always someone else to come and take your place. But right now, I need the game. I need to prove to myself that I can be successful at something. I know I'm going to be successful as a football player. I don't know why. The odds say 'No.' I'm 36 and I haven't played in four years. But I just know."

Titans DL Jason Jones, discussing his role in new defensive coordinator Jerry Gray's system, as quoted in The Tennessean: "Just reading things and seeing what they did in the draft, there's probably a strong possibility I will go out there [to defensive end]. I don't know. We'll see. I don't know how they're going to use me, but wherever I am at, I feel I'll be effective." Added Jones: "I don't think it would really change much [moving from tackle to end]. I think they look at me as an effective pass rusher, so whether I'm inside or outside, I think I could be effective."

Monday, June 20, 2011

Titans RB Chris Johnson, quoted on Tennessean.com on his contract situation: "My agent will take care of all that," said Johnson, who's scheduled to make $800,000 this year. "I am just going to stay in shape and be ready for whatever happens with the contract." Added Johnson on relishing the underdog role: "Me coming into the league I was an underdog, and when you get to the top and are one of the best in the league you want to maintain that. … So I plan on working hard. It ticked me off a little bit last year (not getting voted to the Pro Bowl). I went for 2,006 yards the year before and then people say I didn't have a good year last year. It's crazy, really.''

Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Vikings WR Sidney Rice, hinting at his client testing the waters if the league's rules of free agency permit it, as quoted on twincities.com: "The Vikings have been good to him. There's just so many factors that will take place once the lockout is lifted."

Redskins GM Bruce Allen, defending his decision to send a 2010 second-rounder and conditional 2011 draft pick to the Eagles last year to acquire QB Donovan McNabb, as quoted on eaglescentral.com: "We would make the move again to get Donovan. The 6-10 (record) isn't what we had dreamed for our season, and I can't pinpoint one person to blame for that. We have to improve special teams, defense and offense." Added Allen: "Donovan's performance last year was part of the team's performance. I usually don't try to single out one player for wins or losses. He was a good captain for us."

Jaguars GM Gene Smith, trumpeting his club's special-teams unit, as quoted on jaguars.com: "We should win this phase every week." Added Smith: "That's a phase you can win. I look at what Maurice Jones-Drew does to our offense, Montell Owens does to our special teams. What Daryl Smith does to our defense, Kassim Osgood does to our special teams."

Source: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/06/23/they-said-it-week-of-june-20

Oakland Raiders Kansas City Chiefs phil baroni pride mma rashad evans renzo gracie

No comments:

Post a Comment