Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Colts to induct Harrison into Ring of Honor

The Colts will induct WR Marvin Harrison into their Ring of Honor next Sunday at halftime of their Week 12 game against the Panthers.

Harrison spent 13 seasons with the Colts from 1996 through 2008 and was one of the NFL's top receivers during that span. He was named to eight Pro Bowls and was a key member of the Indianapolis team that won Super Bowl XLI. For his career, he caught 1,102 passes (third all-time) and had 128 receiving touchdowns (fifth all-time).

"Being inducted into the Indianapolis Colts Ring of Honor means a lot to me," Harrison said in a statement released by the team. "The reality is, I'm at a loss for words. When (team owner Jim) Irsay called me and said 'You're being inducted into the Ring of Honor,' I thought he was extending an invitation to me to be there for someone else. As the conversation went on it occurred to me that he was talking about me. As a player that was drafted in 1996, I saw others going up into the ring. But now to be one of those players placed in the stadium for a lifetime, words can't describe how I'm feeling. I've never had anything retired jersey or number-wise on any level. But to be recognized by the Colts is the highest honor for me and my family. I'm truly honored to be placed in the Ring of Honor and to be a lifetime member of the Indianapolis Colts."

QB Peyton Manning, whose career was aided tremendously by Harrison, added, "I leaned on Marvin Harrison early. When you lean on a guy and he comes through for you, you keep leaning on him. When I threw my first pass at the preseason game in Seattle (1998), it was a four-yard pass and he ran 48 yards for a touchdown. I said to myself, 'All you have to do in the NFL is just throw four-yard passes to Marvin Harrison and he runs for a touchdown.' That's essentially what he did for the time we played together. I'll always be indebted to him because he was always there and you could count on him. There was a special bond, a special connection. I always feel lucky to say I played with Marvin Harrison."

 

Source: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/11/22/colts-to-induct-harrison-into-ring-of-honor

Mike McCormack Frank Gatski Ozzie Newsome Joe DeLamielleure Gene Hickerson Joshua Cribbs

No comments:

Post a Comment